Friday, July 25, 2008

Summertime in Amarillo


Thanks so much for praying for me. I can really tell. I do feel like my stamina is growing for mommyhood. But, invariably, just when I think I can handle this I have a meaningless argument with a 7-year old that leaves me in tears or maybe tears for no good reason. So funny when I step back and think about it.

This summer has been a blessing. I really am grateful for the time with the kids. We are really having fun most of the time. I can see why being a mom-especially in the summertime- can be so difficult. So much pressure to get the kids physical activity …but so stinkin hot outside! What to do??!! Luckily, we do have a really nice pool in town that the kids love to go to. For the first few times I went I wouldn’t go in the pool with the kids. I’ve decided that some of the moms in this city never eat. Or maybe they live at the gym. How the heck to they have so many children AND six-pack abs??!!! So wrong. Then there are other moms more like me….which helps me feel validated. Somehow I’ve gotten over my issues of being seen in a swimsuit in public and have decided to get in the pool with the kids. Addison especially loves it because she can get in the deep end with me. I do love taking them to the pool simply because it wears them out…and they get some great exercise. So, we’re heading to the pool this afternoon.

Several folks have asked if the kids call me “mom” yet. No, not yet, at least to my face. I’ve heard Kyler refer to me as mom to other people…and I know he wants to call me mom….but hasn’t yet to my face. Addison will take longer I think. She does have lots of memories of her mom…and Andrea made two photo books for each of the kids with lots of pictures of her with them in it. I’m grateful for those books. Addison especially loves hers and often says “I want mama back.” In spite of all this…she did call me mama in one extraordinarily nostalgic moment a few weeks ago. She said “mama, there’s a dead roach!!” (just fyi…We had just had the exterminator come out and spray…so dead bugs were not uncommon.) Somehow, I imagined the first time she’d call me mama would be this really sweet, tender moment…..not one surrounding dead things!! J made me laugh, though!

I am learning how to weave in time with Jesus now. I’m desperate for it. I’m so far behind in my reading its embarrassing…but I’m working on catching up. Journaling, well, that’s my next step…finding time to do that consistently. I know my heart needs it. Lordwilling, it will come in time.

We did finally get the living room painted and my stuff on the walls. I still have a box of pictures to go through of the kids and put into photo albums. Not sure when this will happen since I’m not a scrapbooker at all anymore. Slowly, the house is feeling like home. Amarillo is a great little town too. It definitely has its plusses. I mean, where else can you get your name changed on your social security card, drivers license, and open a new checking account all within an hour and a half?? Seriously we did it that fast. Such a blessing! It is a nice place to live, however, I hope I never get used the crisp smell of cow manure wafting from Hereford at dusk and dawn each day. Lord help me.

1 comment:

Mountainmom said...

Robyn,
I have just done a speed-read through your blog. Good stuff, and I look forward to a more deliberate read later. WOW--where the Lord has brought you in a year! Congratulations on your marriage!!! (Have you figured out yet that the grass wasn't entirely greener on the other side?--ha, ha) A FL friend adopted children from foster care some years back---they were 5yob and 3yog when she first got them. It was HARD---the children had their own grieving processes, in addition to their other needs. It WILL be worth all the effort and tears you put into it! What a special calling to step in and fill the empty space in this family----He who has called you WILL be faithful to complete the good work begun here. Give yourself grace and time (I'm a purger too, BTW, and I moved last summer into the house where my pack-rat MIL had lived for 20 years---still stressed about it!!)
May you fully enjoy the remaining weeks of summer and all the memories made in it.
Lori Elliott Cooper
(Ozark Project '94)