Friday, August 10, 2007

Rocky Mountain High 1



This is my first entry. Really, this is the beginning of my summer. I actually wrote this June 14, 2007. Sorry if you weren't on the original email. No hard feelings, please. This will just give you insight into my summer experience!

June 14. 2007

I can’t believe I’ve been here almost two weeks already. I has gone by super fast!

I do love spending my summers in Colorado with this conference team. Many of the conference leaders are good friends and former coworkers of mine from my days in Orlando. So, in some ways it feels like being with family. This summer, as some of you know, I am leading a team who is tasked with housing staff on campus in the dorms of CSU. It is a large task but I love the challenge and the opportunity for a team to experience such a great accomplishment. This is my third year in the role which helps me be more laid back in some ways. I know it will all get done somehow and someway. Each summer I’ve done this I have a new team of workers to train.

This summer’s team is so fun! I decided to recruit my own team this time around- call me control freak- but I just wanted the right kind of person on my team …someone who can thrive in this type of position. I was able to recruit two fellow staff members to come out as well as Sarah Bubb- most of you know Sarah from FEFC. So far, this is a team of rock stars! They are so great….I’ve given them the basic knowledge, tools, and power…and watch out…this job is being done in record time!! I love it…and we are laughing our way through it. Such a fun way to serve our fellow staff together.

I am living in the dorm again this summer…pros and cons…but I like it. The biggest con is that the dorm is not air-conditioned. The main operations director, however, has surprised me and is putting an air-conditioner in my room!! I just can’t believe it. I’m not sure what it will be like to dry my hair mid-july without sweating ??!!! Be still my soul! God is good to me. I think He loves me.

Today we spent the afternoon at the CSU ropes course for some team building time. It was awesome. Me, the non-athletic, uncoordinated was challenged to overcome fear. Believe it or not…I attempted a climbing wall…but didn’t make it all the way. Then I made my way over to the high ropes course. 2 years ago …I just watched everyone attempt stuff. This year, after much observation and self psyching…I decided to do a high element. It as like a wooden bridge that you often seen spanning a cavern in a movie. There was no cavern, but there was 20 ft of air below it. I climbed up, walked across and halfway back without problem. So weird…I just thought I was scared. Not so much. After conquering the “bridge” I worked my way over to the “catwalk”. This is a telephone pole suspended 20 ft up. Without much time for fear to build I climbed up again and began to do the catwalk. The belay holder challenged me to do it blindfolded. Blindfolded? Who are we kidding? So I did. Me? Yeah…call me crazy. I stepped out…gingerly walked across it and then he challenged me to go backward. I did..no prob. It was amazing how much I learned about how fear often paralyzes me for no reason. Quite the day of challenging myself. It was a fun day…and to experience it alongside my teammates here. Got some good sun too by the way.

So, it has been fun so far. I’m encouraged by being here among friends.

No comments: